Thursday, August 19, 2010

How to Buy ANYTHING From a Salesman

Let me tell you about my wife.  She’s 8 and 1/2 months pregnant and nesting.  Nesting means she has to constantly work on the house and have everything in place for when the baby comes.  Not necessarily a bad thing, it just gets obsessive sometimes.

Now let me tell you about the other night.  I was at work and the doorbell at the house rang.  Well, apparently it was a salesman, but he hid kind of around the corner so that she had to open the door to see who it was.  From that moment on, it was game over for my wife.  She would do anything to get rid of this character.

Traveling Salesman
Another fine salesman goes home happy from the Wilson household.

I’m pretty sure my wife Rebecca made a mental list of what she needed to do.  She told me that she was prepared to spend $20 on a product JUST to get him out of the house.  Also, since this salesman was selling a cleaning product, she was willing to let him attempt to clean things.  Why not?  Put them to work!

A salesman who goes door-to-door won’t stop unless you buy and hopefully buy big.  My wife got him to door some cleaning and he did clean part of my grill, so I at least got some decent work out of him.  But when it finally came time to get down to selling the product, she was greeted with a price tag of $40.

Let me redirect your attention real quick.  Go back up to the third paragraph and note my wife’s mental checklist.  Ok, then go back to the fourth.  So what do you think this means?  You’re right, clearly she told the guy to head for the hills, there’s no way she could afford this product even if it did work miracles.  Clearly, $40 for a cleaning product was way too much.

So my wife bought it.  Now we have $40 of Clear Advanage: The Wonder Cleaner.  Yeah, there’s no T in it, I know.  Marketing wizards, these guys.  I sure as heck hope that it works wonders, because $40… did we have $40?  I better never have to buy a cleaning product again.  But hey, if you know any salesmen, you now know where you can sell something.

Guess who wins the Hobo Shame Award of the Week???

crazy_old_man


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment