Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wolves: Kids, They're What's for Dinner

I told my 3 year old son about the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".  He had been lying to us about everything recently, so I thought that I could turn this into a story that fit the best.  When telling this story, always make sure the kid actually knows that the wolf is a dangerous creature.  That's the first part.

This is what happened to the Deer who cried "oh crap, wolves, gotta run into a car!"
A little bit later I caught my son in a lie again.  When I asked him what he learned from the story I told him earlier, he simply stated "that the wolf ate the boy."  Well, yeah, sure did.  I tried to make this story seem semi-horrific.  Nobody wants to be eaten by a wolf.  So I asked him why he got eaten by the wolf and it became apparent that it just didn't click in that the boy was lying and nobody believed him when he actually needed help.

I think Disney is to blame for some of this.  Now days, creatures like wolves are portrayed as cute, cuddly, and most of all, talkative.  But in reality, they can be vicious predators and roam in packs.  Oh my gosh, I just described my kids.  No wonder they weren't scared by this analogy.  Um... nevermind.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Yes, creatures like wolves are portrayed so cute in cartoons that kids will hardly believe that it could harm them in reality. Same with my niece. She believes that if she get a cat and a mouse as pet, they might play like Tom and Jerry in her house.. lolz.

    ReplyDelete